Thursday, July 05, 2007

Star Struck


We were walking through the garden center at Home Depot not far from our home in Sayville when suddenly a face appeared before me. I face i know well. I often wondered if I would ever run into him. I knew he lived in my town but its not exactly a town where everyone knows everyone. I wondered if he was as nice and down to earth as he was seen many months ago....

Tom from Sayville. New York City Firefighter, Father, Husband.... Winner of 1 million dollars on Survivor Palau.

He was about to walk by me with his two kids when i opened my mouth.

Me: I know you.

Tom: Hi. How are you? (reaching out his hand and giving a firm hand shake)

Me: Rob this is the guy from Surivor.

Tom reached out his hand and shook Rob's hand.


Tom: Hi. [my name is] Tom. Nice to meet you. What's going on?

Me: Not much. It's an honor to meet you.
(i was a bit star struck and blubbering through my words).

Tom: Thank you. Well have a great day.

Me: Thanks. And congratulations!


Now people... i know some of you will be like.. "duh...just some guy from Survivor". But come on... we all get star struck now and then.... And he's not exactly bad looking.

6 comments:

j-m said...

Good girl. You managed to speak intelligently. In your situation, I would've stumbled all over myself, looking like a fool. Grace under pressure...it's a gift.

Natasha Beccaria said...

The thing is.. we parted ways and i instantly thought of 10 questions i wanted to ask him! DUH!

TM said...

Always the way...I might do a post on my own brilliant exchange with William Hurt. It's actually pretty funny.

j-m said...

I've had fantasies about conversations with people I really admire...in reality, it'd never happen that way. Definitely a "duh".

Yes, please, tm...I love William Hurt. Post! Post!

Natasha Beccaria said...

do we have ANY Survivor fans here? Any at all????

Luna said...

Oh yeah-I watch it (usually by default because of the person that controls the tv--ahem!).

Tom is definitely a good looking guy-but I grew up around there and he looks like 60% of the south shore "dads" over there-at least when I was younger. The boat crowd.

The best looking guy on Survivor-hands down was Ethan the soccer player-with that curly hair. Loved that season.

I just hate when they act all shocked that someone screwed them over. Come ON!!!!