Monday, July 09, 2007

Give me nicotine or give me death


It's time.

Nicotine patch applied.

Last cigarette: July 9, 2007 at 8am.


Here's some stuff i am rummaging through as my knee shakes violently below my desk.


*Approximately 80% of those unable to quit smoking are suffering from America’s most common illness - depression.

I found this to be a very interesting statistic and quite possibly the biggest reason i have so often failed in the past. I have been dealing with Depression on and off for several years, but lately life seems good...even with the rough patches.

*The health benefits of quitting a 1 pack per day habit is equivalent to a 75 pound weight loss by an obese individual - a 4-10 pound weight gain is a fair trade.

I think i can handle that! It kinda sucks, but i know i will feel SO much better in the long run.


*most smokers need to modify their lifestyle to reduce the risk of smoking again, especially avoiding locations and activities strongly associated with smoking - such as eating breakfast on the porch instead of the dining table, or going to restaurants where there is no memory of smoking and eating together.


This may be the hardest of them all. I frequently sit on the breezeway, which also happens to be the only place in the house i was able to smoke.


*Learning to be positive and happy can make a difference.

I'm actually pretty excited overall... but i know the first few weeks are going to be so hard! LUckily I have great friends will get me through it day by day.. minute by minute.

5 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Good for you! I wish you success.

Natasha Beccaria said...

Thanks Nancy.... its actually not bad with the patch... which goes to show, i am a true nicotine addict.

j-m said...

Congratulations on your first month smoke-free! As someone who has had eating-disorder issues, it was all about place...not allowing myself to be in places where I ate inappropriately. So, instead of the breezeway, find a new place...or, do something to change the breezeway's decor. (I used to be a car-smoker...couldn't exactly give up driving...but you figure a way around these things.) Keep us posted on your continued success in this battle.

Natasha Beccaria said...

ok so.. i made a woopsie. My last cigarette was July 9th! HA! That would be yesterday.

j-m said...

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

You can do it!