Friday, August 03, 2007

Update for Jean and others


I laugh in the face of temptation!

On Monday, I will celebrate my 1 month anniversary SMOKE FREE and I am so very proud! Who wouldn't be? The craving is still there, but I can, for the most part, ignore it (even under stress). I do still carry around the nicotine patch in my purse, but I havent had to use it since last weekend.

I am almost 100% certain that my success has been riding on the fact that i havent had any alcohol whatsoever since i quit. Rob and I had a discussion about this very topic the other day. I told him that maybe i should consider not drinking ever again, knowing how it will pull me right back into my bad habit. Anyone who has ever smoked probably knows exactly what i am talking about, though it would be nice to get to a point where if I did go out and had a couple of drinks (feeling groovy and all) that i could cheat and have one cigarette for the evening, go home and never give it another thought. Not sure that will ever happen, but if it does, i know it's wayyyy down the line....we're talking a year at least.

Rob thought i was crazy to consider giving up wine. He knows I enjoy trying different wines with dinner and taking note of where each one was made. When we first met, he introduced me to a wonderful French red wine from the southern region and it would be such a shame to give that up. In the end we both concluded it would be atleast another month before i consider sipping a glass of anything.

8 comments:

Luna said...

As a smoker that has tried umpteen times to quit, and who has succeeded several times for more than a year at a time, NEVER EVER think you'll be able to just have "one cigarette". You are an addict, and addicts can't have just one, trust me-it's like riding a bike, unfortunately, it'll all come back to you.

The drinking thing, let me play devil's advocate here and ask you, aren't there other things you used to do while smoking, or even before or after smoking? What do you do for those activities? How did you stop those behaviors?

For instance, some like to have a cup of coffee and a cigarette together. Some like to smoke while driving.

Be introspective and see if you can pinpoint what you replaced or how you altered those behaviors, and then try to tranfer that to the wine drinking.

No reason you should have to give up your wine forever....

Good luck!

Nan Patience said...

wine and cigarettes, blyeckkk.

j-m said...

Congrats! Good for you!
And I love the picture!
Seriously...coming from one who has 2 very precious people dying because of cancerous exposures, stay smoke free! I wish, I wish, I wish I could turn back the clock and make my fil free, 20 yrs ago...even 10 yrs ago. A little discomfort now beats other prospects later. I know.

j-m said...

Hey, there, Natasha. Saw you at the Hillary event at the Big E Farm today. I wonder how many times we were in the same places before we met on the blogs?

Natasha Beccaria said...

DUH Jean why didnt you say hi? LOL.

Wasnt it cool that the former president of the United States was on Long Island?

I actually got to have my picture taken with Hillary and Bill yesterday.

Luna - i understand what you are saying, but i think the problem is that I am less in control of my behavior when i have two glasses of wine. Disinhibited is what they call it, i believe. I am far more likely to give in to evil pleasures! HA!

j-m said...

I tried to catch your eye a few times, but you were pretty busy (this was early in the afternoon...saw you arrive in the golf cart, and a few times in and out the door.) Later, we had our own personal things to attend to.

We are requesting an emergency petition for DH. His dad just died.

Natasha Beccaria said...

So sorry about your father in law.
An emergency petition for what?

j-m said...

Well, yesterday it was to see his dad who was gravely ill...but, as of this morning, it's to be able to go to be with his family for the memorial service. He's in the middle of the imm. process (takes years and years)...if he leaves, he can't come back, without special permission beforehand...very complicated.