Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Mind-altering all-natural drugs



Last night i was laying in bed with Rob and we were talking about my monthly hormonal imbalance, something he doesn't like to talk about much. I tried to keep it light, but i think his fear of pissing me off caused him to back off and agree with everything i say.It was kinda funny actually!

Lights out. Staring into blackness.

me: You know, it's not easy being a woman.

him: I don't doubt it.

me: Seriously, think about it.

him: I know. I'm not disagreeing with you. I think you're right.

me: Women put up with a lot of crap.

him: I know.


My point was... women are pretty darn tough considering the circumstances in which they must endure. Think about it. Every month, some crazy mind-altering drug runs through our body, affecting just about every inch of us - stomach, back, boobs, head, skin, weight, and mood. Am i forgetting anything ladies? A quarter of our year is spent in agony and all the while men look at us like we we're the alien from that Sigourney Weaver movie (appropriately named "Alien").

Personally, this month has been the worst month i have had in a long time. I feel like i am about to tear someone's head off (and i have a few names on the list right now). The littlest things bother me, like Rob leaving his shoes in the porch. Jeeze, get a grip... even I, myself, am guilty of that. I know I am being irrational, but for some reason, when the mood hits me...

I JUST DONT GIVE A HOOT!

You're wrong.

I'm right.

And you better do it MY way RIGHT NOW or ELSE!


Despite my inability to rationalize during the "MOOD", I do feel bad afterwards and end up apologizing to a few people here and there - mostly Rob these days (poor fella!). He does take the brunt of it because, afterall, we do spend endless amounts of time together, nevermind sharing living space (bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, livingroom).

I dont know. I guess what I am trying to say here is that I am hormonal. I know it. I hate it. Don't ask me to explain it. I can't help it. Don't piss me off. Give me extra hugs and a smile and a kiss now and then. And... last but not least.. I'm sorry... but it's not my fault. LOL.

What's a girl to do?

8 comments:

Luna said...

I get the shoes thing, you know, I've even thrown those perfectly good crocs in the trash before? Yup. Know why? BECAUSE I GET TIRED OF TRIPPING OVER THEM, THAT'S WHY!!!!!

I think "fat day" fits in here, no? (Remember that?). Men will never understand that one.

Don't look at me, don't talk to me, don't come near me. And God help you if you touch me..... Just leave me alone, because I'm having FAT DAY, alright? And it's SO ridiculous because if you weigh yourself on fat day, you weigh the same as any other day.....

Bizarre creatures, we are. But you're right...it's not our fault.



Bizarre phenomenon.

j-m said...

I have a friend who swears by Dong Quay for PMS and plain old MS...and now, she seems to be pre-menopausal and says it's good for that, too. I know Arbonne had some herbal blend supposed to balance you out hormonally...even have some kind of cream, but haven't tried it. Just heard others rave about it.

So maybe, there IS something we can do about it...other than eat salt and chocolate (not necessarily together.)

I, personally, like to SLEEP it off. Not that that happens much...maybe once every 3 years or so. But who's counting?

I def. plan to hit the health food store and try something, tho'. I need help.

Natasha Beccaria said...

Fat day ...ugh... i hear ya!

Thanks for the herbal stuff.

I am so off the deepend. I took the day off but ended up working this morning anyway...ASIDE from the laundry and filthy kitchen and i needed clean out my car.

Has anyone ever experienced extreme emotions switching on a dime? I've been extremely angry one minute and then feel like i am going to break down and cry the next.

j-m said...

Oh yeah. All part of the hormonal swing package. Sounds like a trip to the healthy food store is in order...
I'm getting all crampy, which means b**y is next...look out herbs, you've got work to do.

On the OTHER hand...didya ever notice your creativity follows the cycles, too? I get sudden bursts of energy, usually right before, and lots of inspirations. Unfortunately, I can't sustain it, tho'.

Nan Patience said...

check out books by Dr. Christiane Northrup (OK, spelling might be wrong). She specializes in women's health, and I got a lot out of them. Ya know, being a woman is a very special thing.

Luna said...

Northrup is great-I've seen her speak at Omega before--would recommend her stuff to any of you.

Crying one minute-angry the next? How about "craughing" (crying and laughing at the SAME time)? That's fun.

Uhhhhh...welcome to my world honey, and I don't get PMS or whatever the hell they call it these days. It's just the way I am..LOL

TM said...

Hoo boy, am I glad those days are over for me! I feel for you, N. But small comfort here - keep in mind, it does NOT go on forever.

MamaCole said...

So funny that Jean-Marie said MS- we used to call it DMS (during).

How about those rollercoaster moodswings that can occur within minutes. I actually can feel elated watching a sunset, and then completely depressed once it's dark.

I could go on for hours and hours about pms. I have suffered terrible moods, anxiety and depression, and when I was pregnant, i hit an all time low.

My therapist told me lots and lots of calcium. But every day of the month. She said it was a recent study! I haven't been religious about it yet, so I can't tell you if it works.