Wednesday, April 04, 2007

what teachers make

I frequent Denise Civiletti's blog and i thought this was worth posting.
http://civiletti.blogspot.com/2007_03_04_archive.html

WHAT TEACHERS MAKE

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You Want to know what I make?

(She paused for a second, then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental...

You want to know what I make?"

(She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.)

I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them criticize.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math.

I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

I make my students stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, because we live in the United States of America.

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)

"Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant... You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?

4 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Sounds like the CEO had a little too much to drink and needed to be punched in the face.

TM said...

Here here. There is something wrong in a world where sports stars earn millions and teachers struggle. But just as in all professions, there are inadequate teachers, and I don't believe in tenure. Teachers should get raises and be hired and fired based on their job performance, just like any other job. I personally know teachers who are just riding out their final years, not caring about their students, knowing they can't be fired because of tenure. That is a crime. It's those people who make it hard for the hard-working, passionate teachers who DO make a difference in the lives of their students. Those are the teachers who should be justly compensated.

Good one Natasha.

j-m said...

From one in the profession, I thank you. Of course, I agree with tm, too. When I think back on all my past teachers, how many inspired me, how many frustrated me, and how many were just a gray blah of insignificance...unfortunately, very few inspired...and that's why I want to be one of the few.

Natasha Beccaria said...

Don't thank me... Thank Denise.

Sometimes i hear people speak so ill of teachers and then i remind them that not ALL teachers are bad. I tell them about how my ex-mother in law spends countless "out-of-school" hours preparing, collecting, brainstorming.. you name it. She writes grants so her students have opportunities to do things they may otherwise never get to do - like talk to american astronauts in space. She's kind, compassionate, guiding and is so inspired by how kids think. She not only teaches kids about how to be environmentally friendly... she IS the queen of recycling! I wish I had her for science in elementary school!! Those kids dont know how lucky they are!

Not to mention, she was a great mother in law and i still maintain a relationship with her despite the ending of my marriage.

LONG LIVE TEACHERS!