Tuesday, April 10, 2007

telling funny stories

I've been sitting here working on a piece about Grandma and getting frustrated not really knowing which direction my little brain is going, so I put that one on "DRAFT" and moved on to something more light hearted.

Fortunately, this story also includes my Grandmother.

Last week I was driving both my Grandparents in their car to meet Rob for dinner and somehow we started a conversation about the psycho unit at Stonybrook. I think we were discussing someone in particular but I will refrain from sharing that part of the story.

As my grandfather spoke of his visit to his friend in Stonybrook, I digressed to a moment in time when I had to do volunteer ER work as part of my EMT class. It was more than 10 years ago by the way... ugh. Life is creeping up on me i think.

Anyway... part of my volunteer work was to take blood pressures of incoming patients and that included the incoming emergency psych patients. Out of all my work in the medical field (including 2-3 years on a locked Alzheimer's unit) I had never seen anything like i saw that day in the triage area of the ER.

A woman, combative and screaming, was being carefully restrained to a wheelchair. I watched her urinate all over the place as she laughed out loud with a crazed look in her eye. Obviously there were some major screws loose. It was a sad scene and my heart went out to her... that is, until I read her chart. This woman, clearly suffering from some sort of mental illness, was found in her backyard trying to procreate with a dog.

::: pause ::::

Yes...thats what i said.

Now, I know I got a small chuckly AFTER my shift ended that day. But i wasnt prepared for the response from Grandma when I told them this somewhat amusing story. My grandfather was shocked, but Grandma.... The sounds of Grandma trying to picture the scenario in her head and work out the logistics was probably the most amusing thing I heard in a long time. Grandma let out this great big belly giggle with unfinished questions between each breath of air... "how did she...?" ....gasp...giggle.... "where did he...?" ...gasp....giggle.... "how did they....?" HA HA HAA.

All legitimate questions. Don't you think?

7 comments:

Luna said...

Methinks there are people not as crazy as this lady that try to do the same thing.

Ever lived in the city?

Natasha Beccaria said...

HA!

no i have never lived in the city nor do i care to...thank you very much!

Actually, now you have me thinking about a certain video that was passed on to my via email for shock value. BOY was i shocked... in involves a horse and thats about as g-rated as i can keep it.

Nan Patience said...

I see you gals are off and running,or should I say galloping, in a most unholy direction.

Have fun!

TM said...

Wow. Some humans sure can take animal abuse to a whole new level. Ugh.

Natasha Beccaria said...

it was completely disgusting yet i felt compelled to look because i thought perhaps it was some sort of digital fake-out. It wasnt.

Luna said...

Notice I'm done. :)

Natasha Beccaria said...

studly! HA HA HA HA~