Monday, March 26, 2007

These days

It’s amazing how life passes by so fast when you’re having fun! So I decided to take a few minutes during my break to jot down a few thoughts.

I have been happily donating my time to help Rob remodel his kitchen! What a job this has turned out to be, but alas we are in the final stages… well kinda (says Rob). The whole thing is completely painted except for the inside of a couple of the cabinets. We tore out the old counter top this weekend (crash-boom-snap-fun, fun, fun!) and installed a new island in the middle with base cabinets and a temporary plywood counter. Next weekend we will be installing the new counter top. This should prove to be quite a challenge, but we work well as team. He knows what he is doing and I am really good at helping and keeping him on task!

Last week he asked me to move in (which will happen slowly over the next few weeks) and so my ideas/thoughts/opinions are proving to be more important these days. We took a visit to my storage unit in Calverton this weekend to take inventory and grab a few things. I will be contributing my couch, chair-and-a-half, ottoman, a microwave and possible a dining room set which makes me very happy.

One of my greatest joys is the fact that he gave me free-reign over the flower beds. When I owned my house, I was basically in charge of all the planting and when I had to sell it, my “master-of-the-garden” status disappeared. I was thrilled at the thought of having my own garden again and I said to him “I feel like this is my home and I can really invest in something again”. He just grabbed me and kissed me on the cheek. A good sign, wouldn’t you say? We did a little work outside turning over flower beds and adding a barrel planter by the door outside. He also has a vegetable garden in the back – peppers, tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, zucchini – and I am planning on planting an herb garden under the kitchen window. We love to cook together and fresh is ALWAYS best.

So, life is good these days but my “East End” living status will change by Memorial Day. After almost 20 years, I’ll be a south-shore girl once again, but I think I will always have a special place in my heart for the “East End” having spent most of my life on the North Fork nestled among the wineries and farms. I'll miss it, but I'm not far and I still have profession and personal ties to the area, so i wont be a complete stranger! I promise!

3 comments:

meliss said...

You sound completely in love with a wonderful man! I am SO happy for you, Tash. It is about time! I can't wait to hear more (and see pictures of course) of your new home and gardens. Perfect time to start planting for the summer!

TM said...

It's always great to hear this type of happy news, especially from a kind and generous soul like you!!

Natasha Beccaria said...

Thanks Meliss and Toni. I am very happy. Forward motion! Baby steps!