Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Sharing Travel Stories and Inspirations

I have a special treat for you guys today. An old high school buddy of mine who I now keep in touch with through Myspace posted a blog about his recent trip to Hong Kong and I wanted to share it with you (with his permission of course). And although it talks very little about Hong Kong, It has some powerful messages in it that I thought worthy of some extra light. Marc is a photographer in L.A. and he does FABULOUS work. Check out his website at the end of the blog.

Enjoy.

Travel Journal
Marc Cartwright

Hey all. So I am finally back in the USA. :( ...

No, not that it's a bad thing. Actually when I returned today it all looked different for some reason. What was once just everyday life looked very "American" if that makes sense. But I did get that same sense when I was driving around the streets of LA that I had when I first moved here, before I allowed myself to become bitter and jaded. Because I wasn't today. A little sad to be done with an amazing experience, but not bitter about it.

If there is one thing that I feel Asia gave me, it was a sense of peace. It was fun to just look in someone's eyes over there and just smile and bow a little to say hello for no good reason. You just knew that it would be returned without some weird look or expectation. And of course everyone from Asian decent was on my brotherly love list today. I was telling whomever would listen about my travels and found some interesting stories in return. I had a bunch of those moments that make you say, "ahhhh, this is why we need people... they aren't all just extra's in my life story and there isn't a conspiracy where these random beings are planted to make me late while getting from point A to B" I still hate waiting on lines, but with my new point of view I met the coolest lady from Australia waiting in line at Customs.

What a great reason to travel the world... just for the sheer state of being related to people in your home land. I don't know what it is, but when you tell a person that you are traveling or have traveled somewhere a weight seems to be lifted and their eyes begin to sparkle. Whether it be for their own desire to explore, the respect that comes for someone that seeks things outside of their bubble or even the chance for someone else to tell you what they know about your destination.

Letting others know that you're gaining knowledge or experience, in general I guess, has that sort of effect. Talk about college, traveling, the arts... people's body language tends to open up. They become more available as if you are giving them permission to explore in the moment with you. I love it.

There was this one lady on my plane traveling on the first leg of the trip. Normally, someone I would have never talked to... She was overweight, had a mustache, and I could smell the slight hint of sweat cascading from her bigg uns'... Not to mention we were in coach and I pretty much kissed my armrest goodbye for the 4 hour trip from Hong Kong to Tokyo.

However, she was open in a way that gave me permission to explore. We talked for hours about our travels... traded knowledge and experiences. I was happy that she sat next to me and I completely forgot about my usual tactic of:

1 )Staring out of the window... fascinated with the dramatic take-off... (hmmmm.... Marc's mind... ponder again... How do these rather large hunks of metal manage to get into the air? How fast are we going? Why I'll bet it's at least 200 mph. Should I take a cool picture? Nooo That might create questions about my camera from "those sitting next to us that we shall not speak of". Just press your face against the window)... And then...

2) Instantly pretend to sleep until the movie comes on, slipping my earphones swiftly onto my eager ears, I watch a movie that I have no desire to see... And then...

3) Fall back to sleep once the movie is over, only to magically be awakened by...

4) ...my fascination of the plane safely landing... Clap Clap Clap... Smile to the person next to you while nodding... Don't say anything... and if they say something, come back with a witty statement that requires no response... just smiles until the seat belt sign is turned off and they MAYBE feel your warmth enough to block the traffic behind you while you get your bags out of the overhead compartment ensuring a quick exit. You don't want them to KNOW that you were avoiding them the entire trip.

All this... just to avoid talking to the human being next to me.

This time... I actually found myself asking questions and probing deeper into her life, as she did mine, leaving us with a very rewarding experience. I almost softly whispered, "Don't go!" when she had to switch planes for her travels back to Canada. And you know, upon a closer look, she had beautiful yellowish / green eyes. Something I would have never chosen to notice before.
This is getting rather long, and I want to share my experiences in Hong Kong... but I'll do this, send me your e-mail addresses and if you care, I'll send you the link to my online photo album. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to talk about it.

I will say though that Hong Kong is quite amazing. Like Time Square on really good happy Crack. Without the homeless people, thugs, dirt or anything else bad really. Just lots of lights.
No, I don't do crack and don't know if there are really any good happy kinds... It's actually the devils drug as far as I'm concerned, but you get my point. Perhaps I should say... New York on Steroids... No... that implies bad things too.... Unless you don't mind having a small wiener and lots of rage... But the Hong Kongers don't really have rage and what use is there for a small wiener.... Hmmmm...

How about this... Hong Kong is much like New York in an elevated, more stimulated state. That's better... See, it even sounds more eloquent and well traveled. HA!

And the little areas like Long Qui Fong (spelling... I don't have a cantonese spell check on this thing... Hello Apple... Some of us like to travel and talk about it...)... But I LOVE it!

Oh... I just may start flabbing at the mouth (or fingers rather) again... I'll leave it up to you. Maybe if I get enough inquiry I'll make another posting about Hong kong. I will just say this... If you eat in Hong Kong, be prepared to look into the eyes of whatever you are eating. They keep the heads on everything! I was at this one restaurant and my friend Brooks asked for the fish... They brought the live dude over in a plastic bag to see if we liked him. I had already named him by the time the waiter walked away, I was Finding Nemo at that point! I couldn't eat him.
Alright, I realize that jet lag has set in and that part of this posting may be a bit crazed. Off I go to sleep and attempt to get myself 13 hours behind time.

http://www.marccartwright.com/

1 comment:

Luna said...

Alright-LMAO. All that stuff you do to avoid talking to someone else on a plane? How true.

In fact, I recall doing some of it to my husband on the last plane we took together. Personally, I like the window, so that I can make sure that every screw that was there when we took off, remains in place for the length of the trip. God knows what would happen if I wasn't watching, ya know?

You are a damn good writer, my friend. Nicely done.