Tuesday, February 20, 2007

"ear" loose and fancy free

Doesnt it just make you want to stick your head out the window?


These two dogs are my pride and joy: Copper and Chase. Two of the most intriguing Golden Retrievers I have ever met. They have completely different personalities, habits, desires, goals (yes goals - anyone who has a Golden knows what i am talking about). It's like that old saying, "you can’t judge a book by its cover" - not all Goldens are the same. I love my boys and it broke my heart when they couldn’t live with me anymore. It’s not a bitter custody battle. I just have no room for them and quite honestly, they are a handful together. And who wants to split these two up? They have completely adjusted to a life of togetherness which was not the case when we first got Chase.


Copper was an "only child" for four years. Thank God because he was a handful all by himself! Hyper! Wild! Crazy! Clever, but not too bright, completely unable to “retrieve” anything by scent but so eager to love and be loved. Happiest dog I ever met in my life! And the only dog I have ever known to chew through linoleum floors…down to the plywood, obviously pissed off that we left him at home. He got into everything as a puppy, including my underwear and Josh’s work hats (boy did they smell good!). He thought my duck slippers were his personal play toys and was often caught humping the laundry bag as I dragged it down the hall. I am sure many of you dog-owners can relate to that one! Those were the days! HA! Copper’s life long goals are “rides” in the car, chewing on sticks, a good ball toss, a tumble in the ocean waves and squirrel chases. Hardcore, live-on-the edge kinda dog!


Then there’s Chase: calm, sweet, gentle, loving, mushy BUT he has an evil side too. We rescued Chase from “home hopping” syndrome when his original owner passed away. He was four months old when he came home with us. Not house broken. Ear infection. SO FREAKING CUTE! I died and went to heaven. Chase was a fairly normal puppy. Loved to play, sleep and eat! What more is there when you’re a dog? It didn’t take long to house train him with his older brother Copper showing him the ropes. But that was as far is got when it came to “togetherness” for those two. Chase has some life long goals of his own: annoy Copper, steal Copper’s toys, annoy Copper and more stealing of toys.


Chase is my dog. He and I have a special bond. Despite his evil side, Chase had a knack for making me feel better. When Josh moved out of the house, Chase knew I was sad. I would sit on the steps of the back deck while they played and he would come and sit right at my feet and snuggle with me. He slept next to me all night long so that I could get used to “sleeping alone” again He had this sense that something was wrong and wanted to make it all better. And he did.

I call it inexpensive therapy and recommend it to anyone!

I love my babies!

2 comments:

j-m said...

Where did they go? Together?

Natasha Beccaria said...

They live with my ex-inlaws... along with my ex, his new wife...and their baby-on-the-way.

My boys love "grandma".