Friday, April 18, 2008

Fear


Have you ever been afraid of heights? If so, then you know EXACTLY what i am talking about when i say "I hate the upper level of Shea Stadium".

Last night we went to see the Mets Play the Nationals at Shea. My girlfriend Christy had some extra tickets so she invited us and naive me accepted with pleasure..... without asking WHERE those seats were located. I had heard about that guy who fell off the escalators the other day and died. Craziness. I suppose my senses were extra heightened but i was NOT prepared for this....

We're all packed in the car (Rob, me and Luke in his car seat) all squished in the back and Brian starts talking about how high up the seats are. AGAIN I didnt give it any thought. If i can sit back row at the Nassau Colliseum, I can do anything!

I lied.

We started climbing stairs in the upper level for what seemed like FOREVER and i had such a panic inside me I couldnt even look back down. I just concentrated on the stairs in front of me and finding my seat as soon as humanly possible (without falling of course).

When we got near our row, suddenly the crowd in front of me stopped... on the stairs...

A plane roared over the stadium and my instincts of course were to look UP...BIG MISTAKE. PANIC. Oh MY GOD!I immediately diverted my eyes back down to the cement slab steps in front of me. I couldn't look up. All i could do was tug on Rob's shirt and ask..."what the heck is the hold up?".

FINALLY... the row started moving again. I grabbed the backs of the chairs in my row as I slowly made my way down the aisle, until ....What??? I have to walk PAST someone to get to my seat??? OMG. Luckily he was a friend of the group I was with because i grabbed his hand to shake him and I practically hugged the bastard. I quietly appologized.

My seat was calling out to me... "SIT DOWN YOU SILL GIRL". My butt was planted and I still hadn't looked down. My whole body was twisted to face everyone behind me.

Rob leaned over to me..."you ok?"

"um I will be..i think".

"I guess we're not coming to another Mets game with them, huh? (Christy and Brian bought a 15 pack with a whole bunch of people from his family).

"i dont think so". I said it calmly, but inside i was still FREAKING OUT!

"Are you going to be ok if you have to pee?"

"I'm only going down those stairs ONCE tonight...and when i do, I am NOT coming back up. I'll be fine. I just went to the bathroom before we came up here, thank god!".

By then, I had attracted attention to myself. Christy leans over...

"you ok?"

"I'm fine" I said with a fake smile on my face.

She knew. I have had height issues before and she's been my best friend for almost 20 years.

"Guess you wont be coming back here with us again, huh?".

She read my mind. "NOPE".

I did manage to turn around and watch the game. BUT i had to concentrate on the game or have a conversation with someone behind me. I freaked out when people were standing around me or climbing up or down over the chairs (the upper section was not full at all).

Rob was a saint and spent 45 minutes on line getting us some supplies. He missed nearly 3 innings. I just dont get why they have different lines for everything. One for beer (that i get), one for ice cream, one for chips and such... By the time you get through all the lines... jeeze.

It was also friggin' COLD! Luckily I brought a big fleece blanket. My mama didnt raise no fool! When that sun went down, the breeze picked right up and out came the blanket!

The game actually was good. We left during the middle of the 9th inning. It was about 10:00pm or so and we had a 3 year old with us who needed to get to bed.

Going down the stairs wasnt QUITE as bad as I thought. Rob walked in front of me and held my hand on his shoulder.

"I'll go slow" he said to me.

My God i love that man.

4 comments:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

I don't have any fear of heights, but I have to confess that when we went away last month, the condo that my parents were at, was on the 8th floor. No big deal, until we got off the elevator (outside) and walked along the outside balcony to the condo. Boy, when I got off the elevator and looked down to the ground, I thought I was gonna pass out. There was a feeling inside me that I never experienced before. It kinda leaves you off-balanced. I sympathize with you. How many flights of stairs were there?

Natasha Beccaria said...

Well, its complicated. There are escalators on the outside of the stadium, which arent THAT bad as long as you dont look over the side. (Remember that's how that guy fell and died).

But once we hit our level, Brian decided to walk along the inside of the stadium until we found our section. This actually is what freaked me out in the beginning. So many people coming through and no one paying attention to what they are doing and i was so afraid i was going to get knocked down the stairs.

Once we hit our section, it was a good climb to our seats... pretty much "straight up" in my opinion. UGH.

So, were you feeling like you were floating and couldnt ground yourself? Cause that's what would happen to me. I would suddenly feel like i was floating above my seat and would have to immediately reach for something to ground me (most of the time it was Rob) LOL.

Katrina said...

I HATE heights as well.
Actually, its the thought of falling that freaks me out the most. And it doesn't even have to be the fear of ME falling. If someone ELSE gets close to a high ledge, it freaks me out.

We bought a 4pk of sunday season tickets... but thankfully I think ours are in the mezanine section, I think. Our first game is this next weekend, so I'll let you know. LOL

Natasha Beccaria said...

I hear ya Katrina. Christy was holding Luke in her arms standing right next to me and i was freaking out!

I hope youre tickets are good!

By the way, I was so glad you came to the shower. THANK YOU!