Monday, November 26, 2007

etiquette



I've been listening to a mountain of etiquette nightmares from friends and family... how they HAD to do it because "that's what was expected". It's quite entertaining. I took clippings of some stuff i found and also embellished from what i read.



If a young man and his parents are very close friends it is more than likely he will already have told them of the seriousness of his intentions. Very possibly he has asked his father’s financial assistance, or at least discussed ways and means, but as soon as he and she have definitely made up their minds that they want to marry each other, it is the immediate duty of the man to go to the girl’s father or her guardian, and ask his consent.

Pretty straight forward stuff... read on....

If her father refuses, the engagement cannot exist. The man must then try, through work or other proof of stability and seriousness, to win the father’s approval. Failing in that, the young woman is faced with dismissing him or marrying in opposition to her parents. There are, of course, unreasonable and obdurate parents, but it is needless to point out that a young woman assumes a very great risk who takes her future into her own hands and elopes.

Did you know... As soon as the young woman’s father accepts the engagement, etiquette demands that the parents of the bridegroom-elect call at once (within twenty-four hours) upon the parents of the bride-to-be. If illness or absence prevents one of them, the other must go alone. If the young man is an orphan, his uncle, aunt or other nearest relative should go in the parents’ place. Not even deep mourning can excuse the failure to observe this formality.

It is doubtful if he who carries a solitaire ring enclosed in a little square box and produces it from his pocket upon the instant that she says “Yes,” exists outside of the moving pictures! As a matter of fact, the accepted suitor usually consults his betrothed’s taste—which of course may be gratified or greatly modified, according to the length of his purse—or he may, without consulting her, buy what ring he chooses.

It's always been my belief that when a man presents you with a ring to marry him, you accept it as a gift of love. Apparently i was wrong....atleast according to proper ettiquette! Now don't get me wrong....I LOVE my ring and i wouldn't dream of changing it... especially with the family heirlooms in it.

Usually a few days before the formal announcement—and still earlier for letters written abroad or to distant States—both young people write to their aunts, uncles, and cousins, and to their most intimate friends, of their engagement, asking them not to tell anyone until the determined date. As soon as they receive the news, all the relatives of the groom-elect must call on the bride. She is not “welcomed by the family” until their cards, left upon her in person, assure her so. She must, of course, return all of these visits, and as soon as possible.

Did you know....that no engagement announcement should ever be made if someone is still legally married. (I'll refrain from name-calling... but i just couldnt help but mention this one in particular ::wink wink:::!)

Did you know that....Brides are expected to stay at their wedding exactly 3 hours... no more... no less. Or that no one is to leave the wedding before the bride and groom and if there is an emergency, they must at least stay until the cake is served.

Etiquette is a facinating thing. Don't you think?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

heh. Old school etiquette is a hoot sometimes. This is the same school of thought that says the brides parents must pay for everything, and must provide a dowry, which is why the groom-to-be must seek their permission. If no permission is given, thats why "eloping" is the only alternative (aside from not marrying) because if the brides parents don't pay, there was no wedding.

Just pick and choose the etiquette that YOU feel is important, and that your family (especially the older members) may feel is important. Think back to any other family weddings, and what the 'busybodies' might have commented/complained about.
In my family, my father's sisters are the busybodies. The biggest complaint I saw them voice at other weddings was how they spent money/time to GO to the wedding, and felt ignored by the bride/groom. So I made it a point to try and make sure I payed attention to them and the other guests who came. We did the traditional "recieving line", but also at the ceremony, I made sure john and I walked around a bit and stopped to chat at each table for at least a few minutes with everyone.
I still hear from my parents about how 'nice' the aunts thought the wedding was, and what a great time they had. I guess it worked. ;o)

Natasha Beccaria said...

hey Kat! Glad to see you're still visiting!

I agree with making sure all your guests are greeted, even after the receiving line. After all you are the host of your party.

by the way... we met with Paula last night... she was great, but she wanted $750 to perform a 20 minute ceremony and no rehersal. We did like her... but its just way out of our price range. Thanks for the number anyway.

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

When I got married, I did things me and my husband's way. Everyone gave their opinions, but I still decided things. After the church ceremony I had a receiving line, and at the country club I went to my cocktail hour! Everyone was shocked to see me there (I think it is taboo because we weren't formally announced yet at the reception), but that is where I went up to everyone and talked. When the actual wedding reception took place, my husband and I danced all night long. The people again commented that they never saw a bride and groom together for the entire wedding and that we did a great job putting on a dancing show (we didn't mean to put on a show, we just had fun dancing). Almost everyone got up on the dance floor too, which was unique considering the old people, they even talked to us and we danced with our guests! People enjoyed my wedding because as they said, they enjoyed seeing us enjoying it too. We did what we wanted and had fun in the process.

Remember to make it your own and fully enjoy it. Those memories will be yours forever.

Nan Patience said...

I agree about making it your own and enjoying it, but just to balance out the comments on this post, don't forget marriage is a social institution which involves community and family and friends. You're gonna need all these people, and they're gonna need you! So also think of the wedding as a formality that recognizes these important relationships, a fact that too many of us ignore in our heady, young days--much to the detriment of all. The reason behind many of these old etiquette rules is to reign people in, show respect, show humility, and all those other good things that young people are prone to rebel against.

Sorry to sound like a party-pooping old hag.

Anonymous said...

Marriage, hmm for better or worse, I am sorry I read your post but not all at once.

I have to thumb through them, and go back to them, it takes me awhile to get to writing on a post.

Anyway If I had it my way, I would have been married on the beach, however I was married in a church, family, friends, etc.

I have to say in my situation none stuck around for the long hall, I don’t speak to the maid of honor, and basically all the bride maids, the one friend I didn’t have in the wedding party is know the godmother of my son.

That was the way it was for me, I think back to my wedding time to time, and think was it really the way I wanted it! Was it my mother getting married all over again, instead of me?

I tell you I really had to force the issue to have a sweetheart table for my husband and I, with the wedding party next to me, instead of us all sitting at one long table, maybe if we all sat at that one long table, we would all still be talking today. Hmm

Natasha Beccaria said...

We really are making it our own, while still carrying on some traditions - like cutting the cake with one of his family heirloom swords.

But at the same time, I have decided I do not want to walk down the aisle...having done it once before. it seems strange to me and so i thought it best if we did something completely different. So, we are going to be on the beach when an announcement is made at the bar for all the guests to come down to us. Very excited about that part.

And we are going to fire off Rob's Grandfather's canon right after the ceremony... a new tradition in the making!

Nan Patience said...

Swords, cannons, quite possibly the most menacing wedding ever! What next, you're going to throw a bouquet of antique grenades? tee hee, oh I love teasing. I AM just teasing.

It sounds...to die for.

Natasha Beccaria said...

Nan you crack me up!

antique grenades? LOL!!!