Friday, May 25, 2007

inkless seeking inspiration


Writing is not my strong point (just incase you haven't noticed!). The letters on the back space key on my keyboard are faded and worn and lately I have a new found friendship with my thesaurus. The one in Microsoft WORD. Endless re-reading and re-writing are dull and boring tasks, especially when i am writing about something that hasnt sparked an interest in me. But that hasn't stop me yet. 'Practice makes perfect' rings in my ear constantly.

Ironically though, I have often pulled together great story ideas and astonishing opening paragraphs in my head. I can write a whole poem from the time i climb into my car to the time i arrive safely at work. The main issue being... I'm driving! I'm not one of those women who frantically applies mascara or lipstick while racing down the highway. Therefore, my inkless piece of art remains trapped and eventually disintegrates into thin air, never to be seen again.

sigh.

6 comments:

Nan Patience said...

See now THAT was good!

Natasha Beccaria said...

Thank you!

Luna said...

It was good.

Have you tried keeping a notebook in the car? Not that I am suggesting you write and drive, but you could jot down little ideas and connections before you get out of the vehicle.

I hate to sound like an english teacher, but tree diagrams work nicely for thought organization.

Love the Thesaurus.....it's my favorite thing (besides my Bartlett's).

The thing about writing is that I find that either it happens, or it doesn't. Can't force it. The best case scenario is when I become "possessed" and one with the keyboard-my husband says its kind of like watching someone play the piano. Nothing else matters, I can't and won't be disturbed...and I don't even think about what I'm writing.

Those are usually the best things I write. Sometimes they make it to the blog, sometimes they don't--but it really doesn't matter.

Keep up the good work, Natasha, as with anything, try not to force it. We all know you got it in there!

Natasha Beccaria said...

I pretty much blog everything I write, whether it's here or on my myspace account, where i can lock it away if need be. Both blogs are like my diary.

I also get that possessed look in my eye when i am writing something - "go away... dont bother me right now! I'm on a roll!"

And so today i sit here and struggle with an article i am supposed to write for the newsletter... ugh. We are going to print on Friday... aaack!

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Nan Patience said...

The look I get in my eye is one of two things. (1) fit to be tied, I can't bloody believe I can't blog for one minute (OK, it's more like 36 minutes, but who's counting) without having someone bugging me for something! or (2) I know, I know, I'm a hopeless case, I'm busted, I'll be right with you.

I love it when people tell me they don't have time to blog. No sh*t.

j-m said...

You def. have the stuff to get ıt started. The notebook ıdea ıs good...İ always have somethıng with me to wrıte on, usually my own versıon of shorthand...then when İ re-copy later (usually typed...not nec. ın a blog), the ıdeas start comıng agaın...easıer to get back-ın-the-groove.
In hıgh school and college (the 1st tıme around) I had thıngs publıshed...used to wrıte a lot. Now, lıfe ınterferes (Mommmm???)...so, I do a lot whıle sıttıng waıtıng for thıngs (dr., DMV, etc....sleepless 3 a.m.s)