Monday, October 27, 2008

i HATE silly season

I once heard Denise Civiletti refer to the "pre-election" period as "Silly Season". Right she is! They're all silly in my opinion and they all need to be evaluated for severe mental issues.

Since moving up the Island a bit, I started regretting declaring my status as a "Democrat". Living in an area where there is a slightly higher ratio of people living in close-knit neighborhoods, campaigning has become a door-to-door process. In the last several weeks I've had several "campaigners" knocking on my door - both young and old - in support of Brian Foley. For those of you who don't know him, he's the Supervisor of Crookhaven Town (no that's not a typo).

THREE people have come to my door in the last 2 weeks. The first guy was young... couldn't have been more than 18-19 years old in sweat shirt and jeans looking to just get the word out. He also had what looked like a petition of some sort (I can only assume in support of Foley) that he wanted me to sign. I didn't really show my support one way or another other than the fact that i knew he was running. I wasn't very pleased about the house call so as a little entertainment for myself, I allowed my dogs to continue to bark frantically at him through the glass storm door. They appear to be vicious monsters, but honestly....they just want to lick you to death!

The second visitor wanted me to put a sign on my front lawn. I was like "UH... NO! do you see an Obama sign? or Bishop sign on my front lawn?". Seriously people. This guy was very pushy and actually asked who i was going to vote for in the Senate AND the presidency elections. He caught me off guard and all i could say was "i just don't know and probably wont know until i hit the polls, buddy". But what i should have said, if I were quick on my feet, was that it was none of his damn business who i vote for and that it's my right as a citizen of the United States to keep it that way.

The third, and hopefully final, visitor came to my door last Thursday evening. Rob and I were both sitting on the couch and i was in my pajamas trying to rest my aching pregnancy back. The doorbell rang and my dogs began barking frantically. We both looked at each other (his parents were out of town and anyone else would have called first - even his parents would have called at that hour). Rob asked me to peek out the window to see who it was but my view was limited because it was so dark. Yes folks... it was 8PM at night. Brian Foley sent someone out on the streets to knock on doors at 8pm at night. I was FURIOUS. Rob opened the door and as soon as he said where he was from i said "buddy...it's 8PM...what are you thinking??? You guys have been to this house 3 times in the last 2 weeks. When will it stop?" Again, I allowed my dogs to bark frantically as I yelled at his sorry ass. My husband, at that point, took a back seat this pathetic scene. I didn't argue for long before i closed the door on his face and decided that someone would be receiving the wrath of me in the morning at Foley's campaign headquarters.

The next day i was still furious and not wanting to completely blow up on the phone, I wrote an email to his campaign. Basically..i told them not to come to my house any more otherwise I would consider it harassment and would call the police. I still haven't heard back from them... pathetic. You would think an apology would be in order but perhaps they wrote me off as a potential voter. SO SAD.

One more week of this and I have decided to forever move myself to the "Independent" line and then vote for whoever i want without being inundated with mailings and phone calls and house calls... especially those at 8pm in the evening.

I still say i should have moved to Europe 10 years ago when i was truly entertaining the idea. Sigh.

4 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Opening the door at night for a stranger sounds like a dangerous idea.

Wow, no strangers have been to my door lately... not even the carloads of bible-toters. But if someone did come to my door at 8 at night, I'd be really alarmed. Being alarmed, I'd be liable to get really mad, too...

Natasha Beccaria said...

the first thing that came to my mind was that someone in the neighborhood was in trouble and needed us.... I have 3 elderly neighbors and 2 families with young kids. Ive managed to make friends with all of them yet not all of them have our number.

I was pretty pissed to say the least!

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

You know, I have been thinking about this and we haven't been getting many political phone calls, or mail, and we haven't received one neighborhood visitor.

Moondancer said...

Silly season indeed....what a shame it comes down to this...sigh.