Friday, October 17, 2008

baby stuff up the wazzooo

It's amazing what comes out of the woodwork when you tell someone you're having a baby, particularly when you know if its a boy or a girl. My neighbor is already off loading her boy clothes on me and just yesterday i paid a visit to an old high school friend who gave me a TON of stuff, including a couple of brand new packs of diapers. She warned me that she hasnt even gone into the attic to pull out the boxes of things (some with tags still on them). It's like christmas all over again! We have basically jam packed the changing table with clothing and other things (as you can see). Aren't those little rainboots so cute??

Among the many wonderful things she gave me was a side basket to hook onto the changing table to hold diapers and wipes etc. The contraption has a cool name: "The Munchkin", which is ironic because that's what i have been calling my little boy. Amusingly, I was more excited about the cool bumper sticker that says "I love my munchkin" included in the box than the actual item in the box itself (though im pretty sure i'll be thankful in a few months). LOL. Pathetic i know. Sometimes it doesnt take much to amuse me! And you try not to get caught up in all the "STUFF" but sometimes its just fun to sit and browse all the cute little stuff.

We're still working on the nursery. We found gorgeous pine floors under the dingy carpet we pulled up last weekend. Very excited about that. We decided to just find a big area rug instead of re-carpeting. It will definitely add character to the room. One of the things Rob and I talked about was the fact that we really wanted to make sure that we buy things that the kid can grow into...such as the rug on the floor or the dresser (one we already have). We didnt want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a froo froo rug with baby bonnets and sailboats only to toss it or sell it after a year or two. We wanted something that he can use when he's 10 and even 17. I explained that if we do it right, only a few things need to be "babyish" in the room...like the curtains, the crib set and the big block letters spelling out his name on the wall. These are replaceable, less expensive things that really dont matter much in the long run. I'm glad we're both in agreement on this philosophy.

This little monster inside me has been kicking me like crazy...and hard too. For some reason he likes to kick down onto my bladder, particularly when its full. He must think thats funny or something! I am not so amused. But other times it just feels like my insides are squirming around. Its an odd feeling. My belly is not getting big as much as it is defined. And i still havent gained any more weight. Im quite happy about that. I havent been restricting myself too much, but I do try to eat healthy and watch the sweets. I must admit though I am craving them. It's nice to have my appetite back but at the same time... its not! LOL.

Rob and i are heading to the hospital next week to take a tour of the maternity ward. Im delivering in Southampton which I hear is really nice. It's also quite a hike from our house up the Island. Luckily my parents live in Westhampton and if we feel the day is coming or things are not quite right we may stay there for a few days. We're trying not to plan too much because we know things can change at any moment and last minute decisions will need to be made anyway. But we are prepared to make the important decisions should they arise.

Overall im feeling so much better these days. A little sore from my stomach stretching and tired from not sleeping well, but im getting used to that! lol. We're so excited, even more so since finding out we're having a little boy. I think it it makes it that much more real.

7 comments:

j-m said...

I hate to tell you this, but my bladder has never recovered from 3 separate babies using it for goal-kicking practice. I remember being at work, getting severely kicking, and running to the bathroom...just to not quite make it. And waking up in the middle of night after being bladder-kicked isn't much fun either. :)

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

When I was pregnant with my daughter I had to start from the beginning with buying everything. Then when my son was born I had to buy all the clothes all over again because all I had was pink. It seemed that everyone I asked in the family already garaged-saled their items away. At least if I ever go for my third, I will be prepared!! :-))

It is good you are keeping things neutral in the nursery, I did that too and it has been working so far.

Natasha Beccaria said...

JM im worried about my bladder...it wasnt working so well before i got pregnant LOL.

Anon - lucky for me im one of the last or the beginning of the last to get pregnant. Im thankful for all those around me who are generous. Its quite a blessing! I think i have enough pampers for 3 months right now! LOL

Elephant Steps said...

Hello, new reader here. Congrats on your pregnancy! You are so lucky to have people around you that can pass things on. My husband and I have to buy almost everything ourselves! I'm 18 weeks, and still waiting to feel the "flutter". I can't wait to feel all the movement!

Natasha Beccaria said...

what's really cool is that I was just laying awake in bed and I put my hand on my stomach and i could feel the kicking from the outside. I cant wait to let Rob have a feel tomorrow.

Luna said...

Can you SEE the kicking yet? Because THAT is the thing that'll really wig people out. I recall lying in bed and you could SEE my belly shaking back and forth-and the skin got so thin on it that at one point, you could literally feel around for feet and hands. Totally trippy.

Glad you have a lot of stuff!! Fun, right?

Natasha Beccaria said...

Luna -cant see the kicking yet...i think its too early for that. but yeah all the clothes and stuff are so cute... i LOVE IT!