Thursday, February 07, 2008

what do you mean farmers are busy in April?


The other day I was responding to some emails when I came across one from a teacher. She was requesting farmer participation in an agricultural event at her school some time mid-april. My first thought was EXCELLENT, I'm glad to see that teachers are educating their students about farming and food and where it really comes from (the supermarket, right? :::giggle::).

I spent about 10 minutes compiling my thoughts down in an email. I was trying to explain that farmers work on a different kind of schedule than most people. You pretty much never see them Spring, Summer or Fall because, well, that's when they make money.

When I say that to people they often look at me and respond "hmm yeah I never thought of that". It astonished me that people never really got that part on their own...really!!


I remember way back when my dad owned a seasonal business. From April (and sometimes even March if the weather was cooperating) through October or November we didnt really see much of him. He was often gone in the morning before we were up for school and was never home on time for dinner. Through most of Spring he worked 12 and sometimes even 14 hours days. My mom would work a full-time job while coming home at night to do all the financial paperwork for the business. SHe'd be in the home office until 11pm some nights getting payroll ready for the next day.

As a family we never celebrated Memorial Day, Independence Day or Labor Day. While most backyards had smoking BBQs and pool parties, my backyard was quiet as a mouse. We hardly ever went to the beach or went on summer vacations. 'Work Work Work Work Work...No time for play. We must make our money now while the season is here.'

Sometimes I felt jipped out of a normal childhood- whatever that is - but as I grew older my dad reminded me (and still does today) that his business "put a roof over our heads and food on our table". The fruits of my dad's labor did not go unoticed, especially when he would drag me and my brother out to do hard labor in the summer heat. He wanted to remind us that no matter what kind of job we chose in the future, we should always do our best.

He called it "building character".

We called it "slave labor" and "cheap babysitting".

I love my dad (and mom too!!) and wouldn't trade my childhood for anything. He took us skiing all winter long and we went to Disney World in November and Dad NEVER had to work on Christmas day. In the summer we were always outside and when business was slow we would all take a short weekend trip to Washington DC to learn about our for-fathers!

I imagine it's pretty much the same thing for farming families here on Long Island, or just about anywhere in the world, so it was easy for me to explain to that teacher why a farmer couldn't participate in their agricultural fair in the middle of April. I just don't think it was so easy for her, or the many others who contact us, to really understand it. We get so many requests just like these and almost all of them respond "what do you mean their busy?".

And what's my #1 response to that?

"They're working... making a living.... putting a roof over their heads and feeding their families....".

Gosh that sounds familiar...

7 comments:

Nan Patience said...

I guess farming is a love/hate thing sometimes. Yeah, it's independent and outdoors and working the land and so much more, but it's hard work, and the pay ain't so great, and there's great fear sometimes, and sacrifices. I didn't know you came from a farming family, Natty.

Natasha Beccaria said...

I didnt Nan. My dad owned a tennis court company. We build and maintained tennis courts for the rich people in the hamptons LOL. There was always a big push to get everything up to par by Memorial Day weekend and closed down by Labor day or a little later.

my Ex and I did it for about 3 years. We werent as good at it as my dad was LOL.

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

Some people think the world resolves around their schedule. They just don't get it no matter how many times you explain it to them. My father had a friend who was a landscaper and was always off in the winter and then in the summer he was never around. He would tell us that people just didn't understand his schedule. Most people are trained to believe a job is a 9-5 thing.

Natasha Beccaria said...

Oh and by the way... we have an education program we do with kids (in February and March). We are expected to reach 2000 4th graders on Long Island this year.

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

What do you do Natasha?

BTW - I meant revolves, but wrote resolves in my above comment.

j-m said...

I grew up in a construction family, so I get this!!! Dad was home a lot Jan.-Feb., but never saw him April-October! And Mom was the office, until I got old enough to do it. I learned how to type, making up bills and estimates.

I'm sorry...who is "we"? I missed something. Can you tell me more?

Natasha Beccaria said...

we = my work.

Email me for details.