Wednesday, December 26, 2007

making memories

The whole weekend was, in fact, a very relaxing, inspiring, and loving one. There are so many things I will treasure... OTHER THAN all the wonderful gifts I recieved, because after all... Christmas isn't about the gifts (and i truly believe that, having spent a few Christmas's without them).

This was our(Rob and me) first "official" Christmas together, having only been dating for a few weeks last year, so it was extra special in my eyes. We were (and are) a great team when it comes to planning stuff like this. SO much so that I was able to take an hour nap before everyone arrived Christmas eve. And only one little itty bitty argument to report which was extinguished almost instantly.

His mom and I spent all last Thursday making Christmas cookies (of which I did my duty and paid my visits to both our elderly widowed neighbors with special sugary treats in hand). It was nice to bond with my future mother-in-law and lick the bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough at the same time! It was also the first time I was able to join Rob with his family on Christmas morning. I even had my own stocking hanging on the mantle in their home.

I spent the whole day on Saturday with Grandma making empanadas and setting the table for our guests on Monday night. She was a riot! Let me tell you! Quite the joker - even with her memory loss. We headed into the supermarket near my house and she promptly scooted in front of me saying ... "Here let me get the door for you". I laughed to myself and said..."but Grandma, those are electric doors, they open by themselves". She gave me the biggest, slyest grin and said "I know". She cracks me up!

But i think by far the most significant moment was when she walked into my door again Monday night, looked around and said "Oh, i've been here before... just the other day, right?". It made my day complete. I guess there's still a little something left after all... and I think most of us were thankful she didn't take out her teeth to show everyone.

2 comments:

meliss said...

I'm so glad your holiday was great!

...tee hee... I'm glad grandma kept her teeth in. She pops those puppies out at the drop of a hat to clean them at the most inopportune times. LOL

I'm so happy for all the happiness you and Rob have now! It is about time! Love ya!

j-m said...

What a wonderful post! I am so happy for you! May every holiday always be like this for you 2.

And the Grandma comments are priceless!