Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Love of my life



I frequently call Christy on the phone randomly throughout the day to chat about life and such. And quite often Lucas, her adorable 2 year old little boy, fights her for the phone... a small, but rather interesting obsession of his. Most of the time my ear is filled with button pushes and incoherent words that only mommy understands. A phone call like that usually leaves me 1. smiling from ear to ear, 2. laughing like crazy, and 3. with the biggest case of baby fever one can imagine.


I often recall the day i held him in my arms when he was born. A day i knew my life would change forever. He's not my child, but he is, in my mind, the next step into adulthood for both me and Christy. It was a sign of "growing up" and how fast life is passing us by.

So it was no surprise that i had a taste of "life passing by" when i called to chat with my friend and "the little man". Lucas - lover of chocolate, cars and emptying drawers - grabbed the phone from his mother and began spewing words I had never heard him say before. Apparently "little man" hadn't reached his word quota for the day. In an instant i was engaged in his world and, as I always do, mention how much I love him.


"Lucas, I love you", in the same tone I always say to him over the phone. My life changed in an instant because his very next response was, "Tasha"! He said my name (which i might add he had never done before, atleast not directly relating to me!). I felt proud and at the same time I melted as a tear came to my eye. I again admitted my love for this little boy on the other end of the phone and to show is gratitude he said "Thank you" in a most polite voice. That's exactly how i felt. "Thank you". Thank you for letting me love you. Thank you for loving me back. Thank you for sharing m&ms with me. Thank you for hello smiles and goodbye kisses. Thank you for giggly playtimes on the floor in your room and most of all... thank you for saying my name.

No comments: